6.23.2009

Brickworld 2009

If you don't want my boring commentary (and my whittling down of the 329 photos to 30) you can just go here and see all my Brickworld photos. Or, you can go here and see everyone's pictures.



On the early morning of Thursday, June 18, I packed my MOCs in the car and began the hour's drive to Wheeling, Illinois.


I arrived around 7 and picked up my Brickworld registration packet, then met up with Matija Grguric, whom I was sharing a room with. We stored my things there, as we weren't to be let into the event hall until 4 PM, and proceeded to go into the event hall anyway because we were helping distribute the pretty yellow stanchions. (note to self: don't arrive quite so early next year.)


After the stanchions were distributed, several AFOLs and a TFOL (me) headed to the LEGOLAND Discovery Center about half an hour away. Our group included Brian Kescenovitz, Nannan Zhang, the aforementioned Matija Grguric, Lee Jones, Chris Phipson, and other people whose names I don't remember and don't feel like looking up.


We had a lot of fun and took many pictures which I won't bore you with here.

Except this one, because it's cool.


We got back and I met the illustrious Shadow Viking, (seated, making gesture with both hands) along with a couple of other cool dudes who I haven't known as long and therefore don't remember their names. Well, one (seated, making gesture with one hand) is Jackson. He's pretty awesome.


REDSTORM!


Izaak Mazer is clearly the only person in this picture you should care about.


Actually, I've never met Izaak. If you're him, and you're reading this, hi. You're famous now. Only not, because nobody reads YSAB anymore. Here's a picture of Brian K's amazing AMCP module (read: the entire AMCP)


Chris Edwards's amazing action controlling diorama.

Microspacewars. Megahairwars.

Lego Lego Lego Lego Lego Lego BLUESMOBILE! Lego Lego Lego Lego Lego Lego

Waiting in line for the Lego store 50% off damaged sets sale. I bought an Amerald Night, a UCS Greivous, a Crystal Sweeper, a Thunder Driller, and a Hailfire... all for under $150.

The awesome people among us went about 100 feet away where there was someplace to sit. I also had my first Starbucks drink in a while. Good, but not $5-for-a-drink-the-size-of-your-average-can-of-soda good.

Nannan's awesome dio was there. More on that later.

Discussion of renaming "jump the shark" to "nuke the fridge" ensued.

Brian is oblivious.

Scotty... being Scotty.

Nannan fixing the laz0rb33m again.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG PAB

For once, Tyler makes a face that doesn't involve his eyebrows being raised to an airliner's cruising altitude.

Fradel looking bored.

Peter looking like a viking. Wait, that actually fits.

Nannan is happy because his laser beam is finally stayi... WAIT WHAT WAS THAT? FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Carter gets a sideways picture because he's awesome.

Lukas gets a properly exposed picture because they turned the lights back up to where they were when I calibrated my camera.

Jordan gets a wider shot because he won't sit still long enough to get a closeup.

Kyle, Ryan and I were doing a Greivous draft. Scotty bought one of my two, so he got in on it too.


Fradel, Nick, Jackson and I went for a walk.

Nick has two faces he'll make if he knows you're tkaing a picture: SATANFACE and DEMONFACE. Speed demon, that is.


And here's a pretty picture of the wheeling water tower. Needs more missiles, though.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Awesome post. Worth the wait. Thank-you for writing it.

"nobody reads YSAB anymore"... when did people read this?

Anonymous said...

"when did people read this?"

Right after TBB linked to us.

Lukas said...

Great post Dean. Maybe I should try lego blogging again.

Ean said...

When I first saw that one picture I thought it was Nannan doing the SATANFACE. :|

Spook said...

Someday I'll show up to one of these things, I swear. >_>
I won't tell anyone, and SURPRISE.

Jordan T. Neves said...

"Jordan gets a wider shot because he won't sit still long enough to get a closeup."

What? I have ADHD.
The real stuff.

 
Jacob
Occasional driving force of the blog, self-proclaimed Lukas fanboy, and aspiring engineer, Jacob spends too much time building LEGO, not enough time practicing piano, and not nearly enough time doing school. He also enjoys long sentences. In the instance of blogging, he believes in quantity over quality, wherever quantity can be maintained.
Mike
One of the cofounders of YSAB, and the founder of YSA, Observing Mike actually being productive is a rare occasion. Mike enjoys making outlandish claims in relation to actually building, pretending he's actually sorting his collection, and making excuses for why he hasn't photographed his MOCs. In his free time he enjoys learning CSS from Spook, photography and poking badgers with spoons.
Dean
Occasional builder, occasional blogger, and full-time procrastinator. That's really the only way to describe Dean. He rarely gets anything done, but is a very active lurker. He's probably seen and liked your MOC, but just forgot he had a blog.
Erik
Erik is still a teenager.
Lukas
Lukas is tall, blond, mildly OCD, and doesn't build nearly enough as he would like to, thanks to school. He has a webpage.
Spook (Tim)
The resident codemonkey and graphics person. If something isn't working correctly, it's probably his fault. Fitting to his name, he doesn't post often, but someone has to do this stuff too, right? Spook does build with laygoes, and has his own blog as well.